Friday 12 January 2018

Copy and Paste — A Tip

My standard practice for mouse based copy & paste is:

  1. move the mouse to the text I want to copy
  2. mouse down and drag to select the target text
  3. release the mouse
  4. press the key combination ⌘C to copy the text
  5. paste to destination

I have been using this method for many many years and so have billions of other people. My very first use of a mouse was on an early Apple Mac computer so I have been using a computer mouse since around 1985.

There is though a problem with this method which I usually encounter when selecting text on a webpage. Sometimes this copy & paste method can result in the unintentional activation of a link or too much text or too little text being selected. It can be quite irritating, especially when one is in a hurry.

Several months ago I accidentally discovered a solution to this problem which works every time, or at least it has for me. The solution requires a small change to the copy & paste method. The new method is:

  1. move the mouse to the text I want to copy
  2. mouse down and drag to select the target text
  3. do NOT release the mouse ie keep your finger pressed on the mouse
  4. press the key combination ⌘C to copy the text
  5. paste to destination

On occasions, people have said that I am a slow learner. This certainly proves them right as it has taken me some 32 years to discover this copy & paste method 😀

Environment: OSX High Sierra 10.13.2