Saturday 27 May 2023

JavaScript Help in Ukrainian

🇺🇦 🌻 Слава Україні 🌻 🇺🇦

Donate direct to Ukraine Українаu24.gov.ua or u24.gov.ua/uk

JavaScript Help in Ukrainian ЯваСкрипт довідка українською яваскрипт.укр

In preferences of most browsers one can set a priority list of the languages that one would like text content to be displayed. Some websites support several languages and will display text content in the first supported language it encounters in your browser language priority list.

This language priority list is sent from the browser to the web server in the http headers, specifically the accept-language header. You can view your browser http headers using ericgiguere.com/tools/http-header-viewer.html

I frequently add and change order of my language priority list and usually en (English) is set as my most preferred ie first in the accept-language list. My current Firefox browser accept-language list is: en,en-GB;q=0.95,ko;q=0.91,ja;q=0.86,uk;q=0.82,ar-MA;q=0.77,th;q=0.73,ur;q=0.68,ar;q=0.64,​id;q=0.59,​zh;q=0.55,​hi;q=0.5,​km;q=0.45,ne;q=0.41,zh-TW;q=0.36,en-US;q=0.32,en-TT;q=0.27,zh-CN;q=0.23,pl;q=0.18,zh-HK;q=0.14,zh-SG;q=0.09,es;q=0.05

My previous accept-language list also contained ru (russian) as one of my low priority languages. I had forgotten I had ru in my accept-language list. I visited the Ukrainian JavaScript site яваскрипт.укр and displayed on the landing page was "Другорядна мова у Вашому браузері російська. Не підтримуйте ворогів України!" which Google translates to "The secondary language in your browser is russian. Do not support the enemies of Ukraine!". Considering Ukrainian does not have definite and indefinite articles I will change the translation slightly to "A secondary language in your browser is russian. Do not support the enemies of Ukraine!".

I am totally impressed by this usage of the browser accept-language list. Over many years I have used the accept-language priority list to language adapt websites but I never thought of this usage.

I support Ukraine and so, prompted by the message I have removed ru from the accept-language lists of the browsers I use. On a related note, when I first learned of the russian invasion of Ukraine I immediately removed the yandex browser from my Mac.